Monday, August 18, 2014

Abigail Collingwood: 6/1-6/9

This week, we started preparing and planting the smaller plants in the garden. We were hoeing the ground to make plots for beans, peppers, and herbs. We also planted some cacao trees. In general though, we didn't work much this week because it was the start of the rainy season. It would rain continuously and really hard for hours. Unfortunately, this would mean that the water supply would get clogged with runoff and people would have to go out and clear it.

On the 9th, I left the Galapagos. It was really hard to say goodbye to all the friends I had made there. It was also hard to leave behind the work I had done without seeing the whole garden come into fruition, but I have to place confidence in the rest of the volunteers to finish it. I feel so fortunate that I had the opportunity to contribute to the reserve and learn so much about the environment and the islands. Although it felt less like Goodbye and more like See You Later, I am excited to continue to the Amazon and start a whole new adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Abigail,

    How long is the rainy season? What did you do if it was raining outside?

    I'm looking forward to hearing about the Amazon. I'm sure that the future volunteers will be just as passionate as you about the garden and the other responsibilities.

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete