Sunday, August 24, 2014

Olivia - Galápagos - Week 6

For my final week in the Galápagos we did a bit of everything! On Monday and Tuesday we worked on the reserve weeding out invasive species around the garden and our two houses. We also picked some fresh cilantro from the garden that we cooked with for dinner that night! It's always nice to reap the fruits of your labor. I can't believe how big the plants have gotten since I first got here!

On Wednesday I worked on a personal project with some of the students from Oregon and Oregon State. We started to create posters to hang in the houses and common areas that list the most common plants of the island. On each poster we classified the plants as either invasive, agricultural, or native/endemic. We added accurate pictures of each plant so that the future volunteers will know what plants they should be cutting down and what ones they should keep around! It's important that the volunteers are educated about the plants so they don't cut down plants that are vital to the islands ecological system. 

Thursday was my last day working at the tortoise breeding center and We spent the day working in the nursery bagging coffee plants. We also helped clear a path to a nearby lighthouse that was starting to become overgrown with grass and other plants. 

I have had such an amazing time here over these past six weeks and am blessed to have experienced and learned more about these beautiful islands. The people I worked with have solidified my belief that every person can make a difference. Each person that came to work on the reserve offered new insight, asked questions, and went the extra mile to give back to the islands. 

I truly feel that the most important part of traveling is giving back to the places you visit. You can learn so much more about a place when you immerse yourself into it's culture and way of life. These islands have taught me the importance of respecting nature and being conscious of your impact on the world around you.

Chao!
Olivia

1 comment:

  1. Olivia,

    I have really enjoyed reading your posts- thank you for sharing your experience with me! It seems like you did a good job wrapping all of your projects up. The poster is a great idea! Hopefully that helps the new volunteers. I love that you were able to see how your actions helped/affected the environment. Imagine if more people chipped in!

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete