Monday, August 18, 2014

India Week 6

I am home back in the U.S. and can't believe my journey is over! The past 6 weeks were amazing and have been an incredible learning experience. Delhi has shown me so much contrast can exist in one place, such a collision of the old and new, rich and poor. Working at a small nonprofit organization really showed the impact one person can really make and I'm so glad I got the chance to make a difference! In this last week I got to meet some engineers from Umich who are also volunteering in Delhi for 2 weeks and it was really fun to hang out with people my age again, as my roommate and I were the only volunteers in Delhi for the past couple of weeks. We saw India Gate at night and Connaught Place, which is sort of an open mall. There were certainly many pros and cons from my trip but I have definitely learned a lot. I am so glad I got to experience a country and culture so different from home, with perfectly-manicured green grass lawns and white picket fences. In Delhi they worried about monkeys terrorizing their houses and floods that came during the monsoon season due to a below subpar drainage system. People literally lived on the sides of the streets and in the garbage piles that would pile up and yet there were still huge shopping malls, where everything was just as expensive as it is in America! People crowded into homes right next to protected monuments that were thousands of years old and guarded. I find this contrast so strange as these monuments are protected so that they might be visited by tourists and yet they are right next to where people live in deplorable conditions. How does the government have money to hire guards and build fences to protect all these monuments (there are literally thousands in Delhi) and yet cannot help the people out? In Delhi I also discovered the true meaning of sexism. Everywhere there is security women are separated from men. Which is helpful in the way that the women's lines are always shorter. But on the metro there is a separate car for women and one time we were with some guys from work so we got on one of the regular cars and all the guys just stared at us the entire time. It was really uncomfortable and a lot of times people don't understand personal space/ privacy and they'll just stare, mostly because you're foreign. I managed to get used to it staying there for so long but it was still very discerning. It was hard to be trustful of any strangers for that reason, although we did meet some incredibly friendly and nice people, I was always cautious and aware of my surroundings. I never felt like I could let my guard down and in many shops, there are always men working, never women. I wonder what the women do, if they are not allowed to get jobs and work at shops. Rape has been a long-standing issue in India with no solution. I really think that there needs to be more education for women's rights and freedom, as society is so patriarchal. It really made me appreciate the freedoms we have in America, where there are still inequalities between men and women but it is not unusual to see a woman by herself, independent and in a career. It is not frowned upon to be an independent woman like it is in India, as our host mom herself told us it was hard for her to make friends sometimes because people did not want to be associated with an independent woman with a career. I am blessed to have had this experience as it has humbled me and made me more appreciative of all the opportunities I have. Although there were times when I struggled, I always knew that I had a home to go home to, where I would have all the amenities that I lacked abroad and that is so much more than most people can say. I really hope that my NGO continues to thrive and succeed and that the progress I have made in my time there has a lasting impact. This trip really showed me that I can adapt and be independent and although there were challenges, it definitely boosted my confidence that I can make it on my own in different cultures. I will treasure this experience and the memories and hope that one day I can really make a lasting large scale difference. Thank you India, for the adventure of a lifetime.





2 comments:

  1. Selena,

    All I can say is, "Wow". That was an incredible post. It is so much for me to wrap my head around, let alone provide some sort of response. I have no answers to your questions because you have me wondering the same things. The points you bring up about sexism and women's rights is so interesting. It makes me wonder how Majir was able to establish herself and her organization. If you feel uncomfortable in shops and riding a bus, what about presenting in a meeting or asking for a grant? It makes me take a step back and really recognize some of my privileges (and I wasn't even there!) You're right. You always knew you could go home- to the life you knew before. For some people (well most) that isn't the case.

    I can't wait to meet you at the reunion in the fall. Safe travels.

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Selena, Congratulations!!
    You finally completed your extensive and incredible Six weeks journey of India.I am very much confident that the Selena at present in US ..is not the same Selena who reached India Six weeks back.I can understand that how memorable and close to heart ..this visit was for you.You saw varities of life here..from giant malls to impoverished slums..from fluent Indians in English speaking to illiterate people..from divine atmosphere to scary environment.So, dear Selena…this is India..the largest democracy of the world.You like me do not know India completely because we have never travelled whole of India.So what we know about India is very little but we can know about it more by discussing with each other.I am very happy that you gave the account of your travel beautifully.
    I would like to add few more things about India. India has its own history and culture. She has been under slavery for around 1000 years and saw different powers ruling over it..time to time, but there is something very special about India. It has got powerful foundation in the form of different philosophies.One of the greatest is that “Each soul is potentially divine and the goal is to manifest this divinity within each of us”. You wondered that what Indian women do if they do not go to shops and jobs. Indian women are pretty different from western women. She adores her family and husband more than herself.She is happy in sacrificing her desires for the good of family.She is the first teacher of a child at home, a homemaker. In India, we worship her as the embodiment of divine mother..who creates and sustains life.
    You said that people are still living under deplorable and poor conditions which is true to an extent but there are going through a challenging time and developing .India has seen a large improvement in poverty levels.Now many kids are getting education than past. So we should feel happy that India is growing and improving ..day by day. As far as staring is concerned..it is the complaint of many foreigners. I feel it is because of the colour of skin and way of clothing, talking and behaving. It is pretty new for common man in India. Even if any Indian in its traditional way and dress walks in the streets of New York or Chicago, I hope the same staring thing will happen to him or her. So we see a strange thing or person in awful or wondering manner.But as far as staring of guys is concerned ..it is mainly because of lack of confidence in themselves and in being human.They think any white skin girl or boy is much better than them.They forget that even foreingers..whomsoever it may be..are humans like them.So this staring thing is due to this lack of faith in their powers, language, culture, education and beauty.This issue should be discussed more and Indian boys and girls should be made confident in themselves. They should also feel that if an English or American person can do …than they can also do.Yes, they can.They are same human beings like others, so why should be any inferiority complex.
    Selena, I will thank you so much that you gave your time and energies to teach kids and in helping the NGO..Parivartan. I am thankful that you enjoyed Indian beauty, culture, ways and architecture so much. I am sure that you are not going to forget this incredible experience of your journey. I would like you to come again to India in future and to appreciate its developing and growing nature more and more..You are always welcome to India…Please come soon!!
    We miss you!!
    Thanks
    Ankit Joshi
    Your Rishikesh Friend.

    ReplyDelete