Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Alyssa Tender Rabat Week 6

 Ramadan started last Sunday. The medina has become so peaceful. I love walking through the streets during the day and seeing people prepare the different breads and sweets.  The first couple of days I could see it was challenging for some people to keep clam in the heat at the end of the day. On Monday I was taking a taxi back from work when the taxi driver got into a fight with a passenger because some of the passengers change was missing. The got in a huge argument and were yelling directly over me.  As soon as I figured out why they were yelling I was fine, but they were screaming at each other in darija (the local Moroccan dialect) so I had no idea why they were fighting. The next day my taxi driver was fine but we got stuck in a lot of traffic because a bunch of people got out of their cars and were screaming at each other. I can only imagine how tired and easily frustrated I would be driving around in a hot car all day with no food. By now most people have settled into their fasting routine.  

The break fasts have been super delicious. There is always so much food. Moroccans break the Ramadan fast with dates, and a delicious tomato soup called Harira (that my family makes vegetarian), and either fruit juice or milk (my family does fruit juice). On top of that my family always has a tagine (a big pot filled with meats, vegetable, and spices that is eaten with bread) and other vegetables. 

Table all set for break fast 

 I really like how the break fast is a family event. There are always different people over or we are going to different families houses. After the break fast the entire city comes alive. All the stores open and you can’t walk anywhere without people offering you the dried dates to help you break your fast. The mosques in the medina are always overflowing. They set up mats outside in the street for people to pray.    


After that there is usually a second meal at around 12-1. Most families have meat then but my family just has a snack since they eat the meat with the break fast. Then they wake up at 4:30 for their breakfast. I usually sleep through this and just have breakfast with my 4 year old host brother. 

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa,

    I really learned a lot from your post. I never really considered that emotions would run high since people weren't eating. I know that I get cranky if I miss one meal, let alone not eating all day. It is interesting that you noticed this and connected it with Ramadan.

    That table of food is impressive! I can't imagine what it feels like to "break your fast". It has to be relieving. Wow! Very cool that you were able to experience that! I would keep eating with my four year old brother too- that's early!

    How is work going?

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete