Friday, July 25, 2014

Olivia - Galápagos - Week 2

This week we spent multiple days working in a nursery in one of the national parks. We did small maintenance jobs and helped with weeding out the invasive plants before they spread. But most of our time was spent planting new coffee plants! Coffee is one of the main exports of the Galápagos and is quite delicious if I do say so myself! The coffee is grown in these nurseries to prevent it from the harmful invasive plants, mostly mora, from destroying it. It is grown completely organically without any types of pesticides or fertilizer. During the work days spent on the reserve we went on a couple hikes with our machetes in hand to help clear the trails which had been almost completely covered due to the overgrown plants. It was hard work but well worth it when we made it to the coast and found a fresh water lagoon! San Cristobal is full of little surprises everywhere and I am still in awe of it's beauty. I am growing more and more in love with it everyday and am honored to help with this conservation program! The nature on this island is such a special place that I hope people will continue to enjoy and respect for years to come. They say the key to living in the Galápagos is to love nature and Mosquitos, which by the amount of bug bites I have they sure love me! 

My view after our hike. 

Who needs Starbucks when you have this?

Chao!
Olivia

1 comment:

  1. Olivia,

    I had no idea that the coffee plans were grown separately. Now that I think about it- it makes sense. Where are you planting the new coffee plants? In the nursery or in the wild?

    You're right about surprises! That picture is beautiful. I'm sure it was quite a view after trekking through the jungle all day. I hope your blisters are healing and I can't wait to hear more!

    Did you catch Wilbur??

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete