Monday, July 21, 2014

Hannah - Madrid Week 8

Hi everyone,
It's gradually been getting hotter here so now I'm beginning to understand why foods like cold soup can be very appealing here. To cope with the heat, I've been spending some time at the pool lately. Unfortunately, Madrid seems to be the only major city in Spain that isn´t located by the coast; it's right in the center. Though the central location is beneficial for traveling to all the other cities, being surrounded by land makes the summer unbearably hot. I guess this is the main reason that everyone travels out of Madrid for the month of August, leaving the city almost abandoned and empty. 
I've also been occupied with watching the World Cup. Although the U.S. is out, my flatmates still have countries that they are cheering for. For the Germany vs. France game, we went out to an Irish restaurant. I cheered for France because my French roommate was the only one who had supported the U.S. during our game against Belgium. Despite my support, however, France lost and Germany advanced. It was still interesting, though, to see French and German people gathered together to watch a soccer game in Spain. It showed how a big city like Madrid could be home to people from all over the world! 

Until next time,
Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Hannah,

    I cannot imagine how hot it is there. I have discussed this with some of the professors in RLL. They also mentioned that Madrid becomes almost a ghost town because people escape to the coast. Cold soup? I don't know if I could get used to that. Any other interesting foods? Post some pictures!

    How is work going?

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete