Sunday, July 13, 2014

Selena- India Week 1

Wow crazy that it's already been a week since I've been in India! I'm still not a fan of the temperatures here though, it is easily over 100 degrees everyday! I've been working at PORDAC, an NGO working towards education and inclusion for children with disabilities. I work at Parivartan School, which educates about 12 children aged 4-14 every day. Most of the children have autism but they are such a pleasure to work with! I have been working on the computer with some of them and they are so talented. I'm hoping to create lesson plans to work with the children on the computers because they do not have a computer teacher. In my first week I observed the children in the classroom and came up with sample lesson plans and guidelines for the teachers because most have not been fully trained in special education and I think it is really important that they create lesson plans so that the kids can get the most out of their time here. My boss Manjir is very nice but can be super disorganized and since it is such a small organization, there is still a lot that needs to be done. I've discovered that I have to take the initiative in creating projects for myself so I've made a monthly newsletter and a pamphlet for PORDAC. At home, my host mom Sushmita is so much fun! She's traveled pretty much the entire world and has so many cool stories. This weekend she took us to see some step wells, which are giant wells that were made for the workers who were building the many tombs and mosques in Delhi to rest at during the long labor days. These wells are ornate and huge and one of them was being used as a giant swimming pool by the locals! I also went to a mall that was huge and westernized so it felt like I was back home in the states. We visited the markets and the famous Lodi Gardens, a huge park with gorgeous tombs and mosques. The monsoon season is upon us so hopefully it will cool down soon!








1 comment:

  1. Selena,

    I'm glad that you posted! It seems that you are formally trained in Special Education. As a former teacher, I understand how important it is to have lesson plans. You have to have an idea of what you are doing that day and how that relates to the rest of the week, month, and term. This helps ensure that you are working toward the intended goal, which in your case seems to be successful use of technology. However, I also understand that lesson plans aren't the "end all" to any problem. You must be flexible and willing to change your plans on the spot to suit the needs of the students, especially when dealing with students with disabilities. You seem to have really jumped right in- I love it! You identified an area (computer) which could use your expertise. A monthly newsletter is a great way to keep communication open. That's a great idea. Once you finish one, I would love to see it!

    I'm glad that your homestay is working out well too. The well sound amazing, but unfortunately, the pictures didn't post correctly. Perhaps you could try again? Remember that there is a photo contest. So, take pictures at work, with UM swag, and the block "M"!

    I am looking forward to hear about the success of your lesson plans and newsletter! Good work!

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete