Thursday, July 17, 2014

Tony- Cusco, Peru Week 9







My volunteer project here is everything I could have hoped for. The children are almost always excited and the professors at the school are very kind. The more time I have spent doing my volunteer work, the more I have enjoyed it. July 4 was Teachers’ Day here and the kids performed traditional dances for the professors. Afterwards us volunteers and the professors had a party. There was great food and dancing. It was a lot of fun interacting with the many teachers.





After the party I went to Arequipa, Peru. The weather there was nice, and the city beautiful. While I was there, I took advantage of some of the city’s attractions. There are famous chocolate shops, an official store selling local alcohols featuring anise, a couple of volcanos, and the Colca Canyon. I went mountain biking down the volcano Chichani. It was a 47 km trail and I started 4900 meters up the 6000 meter volcano.


2 comments:

  1. Tony,

    Great! Your volunteer project sounds like something that I would love too! Do you plan on becoming a teacher? The picture of the kids is so amazing- their outfits are very detailed! I hope you took a few videos.

    Your mountain biking adventure sounds really fun but also very challenging. Did you have trouble with the altitude? What a beautiful picture. I bet it was nice to have some peace and quiet and just enjoy the landscape. m

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about becoming a teacher, but I definitely don't have issues with the altitude.

    I love traditional outfits the kids wear. They do it very often and it's a pleasure to witness it every time. I did take a few videos.

    ReplyDelete