Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Kledia | Tirana, Albania | Week 9

This week we finished up some translations on Monday and Tuesday and other little things around the office. On Wednesday through Sunday we went to Vlora - a city on the southern coast of Albania. As I mentioned before we were communicating with the people on the boat in order to help organize the event with the orphans. On Thursday we were invited to a lecture at the local university and after that we went on the boat. The boat was pretty small. I really don't know what I was expecting because I wasn't sure at all what the boat was doing in Albania. The boat is actually a scientific expedition boat called Tara and it goes around the world collecting samples of different marine life and analyzing the pollution. It was its first time docking in Albania and their goal is to spread awareness and educate the public, along with their scientific studies. Going on the boat was a pretty cool experience and what was surprising was the University of Michigan is one of their sponsors! I was very surprised to see a little block M on the boat!

On Friday the event took place and the orphans came into the port. The children ranged from 5 - 15 years old so it was a very different group. I had the group of the youngest children and they were the cutest little things. My task was to translate what the scientists on the boat were saying. It was quite difficult because the man that gave our presentation was French and his English was a little difficult to understand and on the other hand I had to simplify what he was saying in order for the little kids to understand. It reminded me of when I was in Turkey last year teaching English to kids and I really liked it. Maybe a future career path for me? The event was a success and the kids loved it. For us it was a nice chance to get out of the office and do something different.



[Here I am translating for the kids]


No comments:

Post a Comment