Sunday, July 20, 2014

Wendy in Buenos Aires, Week 2

So far I have gotten the opportunity to celebrate America's Independence day, Argentina's independence day and today I got to celebrate Colombia's! There is so much to do here, I have to figure out how to work in all these places into my work schedule so I have to start making lists! I'm loving the prices, especially after you find a cueva and get 12.6 pesos per dollar. I'm working with Fundación Metáfora where we travel to a small rural village about an hour from Buenos Aires and provide workshops to help them improve their sustainability. The difference between the village and the part of Buenos Aires that is shown throughout the internet in all of those amazing pictures is astonishing. There is a vast difference, and I've learned that Buenos Aires is an autonomous city that can be described as being slightly isolated from the rest of the country. For this reason I'd like to go out and explore outside of Buenos Aires to get a better idea of Argentina. Starting tomorrow I will be making the hour drive to the village every single day to work with the youth since it is their winter break, yes it is considered winter here although it is more like Fall in Michigan. So far I have gotten lost in a cemetery that is basically it's own city and swore I was being followed! I witness some wild love birds over take some pigeons for some bread I was feeding them, gotten lost numerous times,  been crushed inside a subway as people force themselves in and lets not forget the fact that I accidentally ended up in a riot when Argentina lost to Germany and was one of the few that got tear gassed! But, the celebration when Argentina made it to the finals was amazing and an experience that I am so utterly grateful I got to be apart of.




I've met some amazing people from all parts of the world and have learned a little bit of each culture. I had homemade crepes with some French students, ate a homemade meal with my Colombian friends, learned a bit of the culture in China, discussed the political and economic situation with a group of Brazilian students, divulged my dream of traveling to Australia to a student from there, compared latin dancing styles with non-Mexican friends and plenty more. In return I have answered many questions about America. Are all the people fat, is college there like in the movies, is everyone stuck up, is it as nice as it looks, how can I possibly hate Burger King and Micky Ds lol.  And the funniest one to me, "you don't look American". Which reminds me of how America is portrayed through sources that reach other countries. I even had a conversation with a man about how I was American but didn't have blonde hair or colored eyes, or even how I could speak Spanish so well. Then there was the incident with a friend of mine where it was the complete opposite. He was told that he didn't look like he was from the US because he was white and all the Americans he saw on TV were black. But never the less it is always interesting to see how the country you represent is seen and though of by the rest of the world. I do however seem to blend in, until I start speaking Spanish and use words that are not common here or use the "sh/ch" sound for double Ls or Ys. After someone hears me speak they almost always say "ah eres Colombiana!", when I laugh and say no "soy de los Estados Unidos" they give me confused looks, thats when I inform them that my family is from Mexico. Within the next few weeks I plan to visit Uruguay and spend a few days in Rio De Janeiro!!! So that will definitely be awesome. I think I've talked enough and I will be back next week =)

2 comments:

  1. Wendy,

    Great post! Your work sounds very interesting. You said that you will help inform the people in the villages about sustainability. What type of topics will you cover? Does this relate to your degree/course of study at UM? This is so interesting to me! I didn't know that BA was vastly different from the rest of the country. That sort of connects to peoples' reactions to you being from the United Stated. You didn't fit the stereotype and that confused them. I bet that is similar to seeing the villages and noticing that they are not at all like Argentina is portrayed in the media here (the movie Rio, etc.). It was interesting to hear about the reactions you got--- very, very interesting. Did have any preconceptions about BA or Argentina?

    Don't forget to include pictures, especially at work and sporting UM swag!

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy,

    The pictures did not originally show up in your post, but I see them now. I can't believe you got caught in a riot! AHH! Make sure that you stay safe and travel with someone or a group at all times. Eeekk!!

    ReplyDelete