Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Alexandra Page - Morocco- Week 4

I finally got my hands on a laptop! So I'm playing catch up on blog posts.

Week 4 in Rabat was a lot of fun thanks to the music festival Mawazine that lasted all week! On Monday I did gardening with the kids at our NGO Amsat in the morning and in the evening my roommate and I met up with our new Moroccan friends from Mawazine named Omar and Amine! They showed us Rabat- mainly the touristy spots like Hassan II tower and the huge cathedral. It was one of my favorite nights in Morocco yet because we saw the beautiful sites and went to the ocean and we got to do it with these two crazy Moroccans!

There's Hassan II tower! We watched the sunset from it and heard the Call to Prayer - it was pretty surreal.

The rest of the week was sports with the kids at work and concerts in the evening. I loved being completely immersed in the culture in the crowds listening to the famous french rapper stromae and other Arabic artists. We didn't stay to see Alicia Keys and Ricky Martin that weekend but we were able to travel to Fes and Casablanca! Casablanca was not my favorite because it felt pretty Western and tourist-oriented but the mosque there is the 3rd largest in the world and we were all taken aback by how huge and beautiful it was. Our cab driver even made fun of us for it because we all said "woahhh" when he pulled up to it. Later that night we splurged on a delicious dinner at Rick's Cafe which was made after the movie. The next day in Fes we met lots of kind people and had an amazing tour through their ancient medina. We stopped at argon oil shops, helped some women weave a rug, and saw the infamous tanneries.

Here's the Casablanca mosque and the tanneries!



And finally, in case I am not able to post pictures for the next blog because I can't get to a laptop, here's a picture from the Special Olympics event we attended for work as well as the other adorable kids!





1 comment:

  1. Alexandra,

    I'm glad to here from you! Your job sounds very rewarding (and fun too!). It seems that you are getting a good taste of everything from working, to traveling, to being a "tourist". It's amazing when you list the places you are visiting because most people only ever see pictures in books or on tv. Casablanca! It seems that you are really "taking in" the culture and making the most of your time. I love, love, love the pictures. The mosque would make me say "whoa" too!! I'm looking forward to your next post.

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete