Monday, June 30, 2014

Jaclyn, Cardiff - Week 7

Today brings me into Week 7 of my internship here with Admiral. It's crazy to think how much has been accomplished in only seven weeks....

I'm nearly done with my project. For those of you who don't know, I've been working on a project to implement online testing into Admiral's application process in order to improve the quality of people we recruit. My first week was spent researching in depth the different testing options available in the market and visiting several of the contact centre departments within Admiral that are often involved in the volume recruitment process. My second week was spent determining the different types of testing that would be appropriate for what we're looking for (the increased quality of candidates who make it through each stage of our volume recruitment process). I decided on 3 types of testing and moved to the next part of the project, which was researching the application processes of seven leading companies within the UK. I looked into what types of testing each of these seven companies included in their application processes and in what ways. From there, I participated in Admiral's Recruitment process first-hand in order to get a better sense of how the company recruits and where online testing options can be inserted. I completed the application and participated in a telephone interview that conducted by one of my co-workers!

After all this, I researched companies who possessed the three types of testing we were looking for and found 10 that seemed credible and capable of getting the job done. After researching these 10 a little bit deeper, I found five that I decided should be contacted. After contacting these five companies and speaking with representatives from each one, I invited four companies to come in and present what options they have to offer to myself, the Head of Recruitment, and several other decision-makers in Admiral's Recruitment process.

So far, we have had two companies come in and present and things are going wonderfully! The final two companies will come in on Thursday to present their options and then we will go from there!

It's crazy that all this has come together in 7 weeks. And, along the way, I've been doing even more things. I now conduct telephone interviews on a daily basis (I completed one today, and I have 5 to conduct tomorrow!). I have been working on a PowerPoint presentation of my Online Testing project for weeks in anticipation of a final presentation in front of Admiral's Recruitment higher-ups. Very exciting stuff! Last Wednesday, I spent the day at a Project Management Course. Funny because my project is nearly done! But I still learned some really valuable information...

In the last seven weeks, I also assisted with the facilitation of various Assessment Centres (the step after telephone interviews in the Recruitment process), handling applicants' right to work documents (including passports, national insurance numbers, birth certificates, etc.) and have completely revamped the presentation slides for five different Departments' Assessment Centres. Finally, I'm in the process of co-creating a cultural video with Amy, which is to be presented to Assessment Centre attendees the minute it's finished.

If all that can happen in just 7 weeks, I wonder what's going to happen in the next three!!
________________________________________________________________________

Now onto this past weekend's adventures....

Yesterday (Sunday), I went on a Treasure Trail! (http://www.treasuretrails.co.uk/) Essentially, it is a scavenger hunt that takes you all around whatever UK city you're in, showing you unique parts of the city in order to solve "clues." The Treasure Trail for Cardiff is a murder mystery. It took about an hour and a half to complete and took us all around the city! I saw a bunch of things I had passed by a million times, but never actually saw. It's crazy how things like that happen. Here are some of the pictures I took of all the sights we saw!
The clue told us to look for the words under
the Crowned Man!


The beautiful Bute Park

View of Cardiff Castle from Bute Park

One of the clues took us around the exterior of Millennium Stadium (the location of the Admiral Company Party a couple weekends ago). There are these cool mosaics on the ground for about 10-15 different countries. Very unique and very cool.

If you notice, there are symbols depicted of things that are representative for that country. For example, the US mosaic depicts a limo, French fries, a burger, baseball, Mickey Mouse, the Statue of Liberty, jazz music, an astronaut, etc. I thought it was so stereotypically funny! They nailed us to a T :)







Modern Art - one of the clues required us to look through
the bottom hole of the tomato!

View of Cardiff Castle




More fun to come this week/weekend. Can't wait to see how the meetings with the final two companies go on Thursday. And then celebrating the Fourth of July with my Welsh friends on Friday!!

Happy early Independence Day to everyone in the US. And to my British friends.... sorry for celebrating such a controversial holiday on your turf!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Jaclyn,

    Wow! I'm impressed by everything you have accomplished. Congratulations! What a great experience for you. It sounds like you have done a wonderful job researching and coordinating. You definitely have a structure/plan! You mentioned that you hold interviews over the phone? Is this for a position at the company?

    A scavenger hunt sounds like a great way to see all types of the city. Plus, I bet it gets you to notice details you would have overlooked. The little tile is hilarious!! A limo? Hahaha.. but, like you said, although it is stereotypical, it is pretty spot-on.

    Happy Fourth of July! Enjoy it!

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was working a bit quicker on the project than they anticipated, so they set me up on the system as a Recruiter so I could conduct telephone interviews. I call/conduct telephone interviews for people who have booked themselves into telephone interview slots. These are people who have passed the initial application stage for our live volume recruitment roles. It's really quite fun! I'm sure it's quite a shock to the person being interview when they hear an American on the other end!

    ReplyDelete