Saturday, June 21, 2014

Alexandra Page - Morocco - Week 5

This week seemed to drag by a little slower without the music festival Mawazine to fill our nights but it was fantastic nonetheless! Luckily we made beautiful, kind Moroccan friends that meet us in the evening and wander the city with us; I feel like I'm getting to know Rabat so much it feels like home. I might even know it better than Ann Arbor!

Work was a blast once again now that I've gotten to know most of the kids by name so that I can work with them more personally. Monday's are gardening with the boys, Tuesday's basketball with the little kids, Wednesday's crafts and cooking class, Thursday is basketball with the older girls, and Friday is soccer with the oldest boy group. So much fun!

We were able to travel to Marrakech and Essaouira this weekend with the whole group! Although it took a lot of travel time it was cool to see the ancient Islamic school in marrakech, although I kind of had a hard time enjoying the city because it was over 100 degrees (F) there. Essaouira was at least 30 degrees colder and much less cosmopolitan. There was definitely a music festival crowd and feel to the city as we saw traditional musical performances and watched the beautiful Moroccan dances. We ate delicious food and haggled for souvenirs and visited the beach. The highlight of the weekend was definitely the 2 hours we spent sailing on the ocean. I think I'm addicted to the ocean now; I do not go Pa day without being near it. We saw an ancient abandoned prison on an island and just had a lot of fun. I want to go back already!

I can't believe most of the girls are leaving next weekend and that I've been here for 5 whole weeks- it is surreal. In Marrakech and Essaouira I missed home, but the home I missed was a little one in the old medina of Rabat not a house in Kalamazoo, Michigan with my mom (sorry mom :). This experience has definitely made me realize my passion for travel and I definitely want to study abroad on the future! And of course return to morocco someday.

1 comment:

  1. Alexandra,

    It sounds like your experience continues to be wonderful! Your job sounds so fun and also so rewarding. Working with kids is the best, isn't it? 100 degrees is super hot and it would make anything hard to enjoy. Nevertheless, I'm glad that you were able to overcome the heat and enjoy your travels. You're making me jealous talking about the ocean! Your experience is coming to an end soon, but it sounds like you've caught the travel bug.

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete