Monday, June 9, 2014

Jennifer Istanbul Week 4

Haha I love food so I figured I'd make a post about food!
This is the iconic Simit which is pretty much a bagel. I love these! I eat one almost everyday, haha. You can find these stands everywhere in Turkey and they are incredibly cheap. Only one lira, or about 50 cents. Some have sesame seeds and some have sunflower seeds and they are all delightful. I Googled them and apparently they are availible in NYC so I shall try those and compare, hehe!

The other thing I love most about Turkey is the freshness of their juices. They literally squeeze it right in front of you! And nothing else but one ingredient!

We decided to splurge in Antayla and spend Happy Hour at one of the best fine dining restaurants there. This is called the "Pretty Woman" dessert and although it looks adorable, it didn't taste as good. This cost around $10. Something at La Dolce Vita at The Chop House would've been nicer for the same amount of money! But the ambiance and the decor was stunning nevertheless.

Haha waffles are sosososso much better here than that of the States. They have a chain called Waffle Art with a billion sauces and toppings and every fruit imaginable. It's just incredible.

This is probably my favorite cafe in Turkey as it's conveniently located on the campus. Not only those it look appealing, it was delicious!

This is at a lunch buffet at a 5 star hotel near work! At work, they give the employees these Multinet cards which has x amount of money and basically we get to spend them at whatever restaurant that accepts them. It's a pretty good system which I think US companies should endorse too. 
This is just a glimpse of the many foods Turkey cuisine entails!


2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,

    I am marking that this is a post about week 6/1-6/7. Is that correct? I had that you already posted about this week, but it seems to early to post about 6/8-6/14.

    I love that you focused on food because I love food! The bagel looks interesting. Is it really crunchy? I think I would try the sunflower seed one. The Waffle Art idea seems like it would take off here in the U.S. It sort of reminds me of the yogurt places- you can put all the toppings you want. Maybe you could start it up here and make it like another version of subway, just with waffles!

    The Multinet cards seem like a wonderful idea too. I wonder if it would work around here for UM employees or even students. It's great that the cards work at 5 star restaurants and not just convenience stores or fast food.

    How is work going for you? Any thing new? Keep the pictures coming!

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tammy!

    Haha I just made a random post about food and called it the next number. You can mark this for whichever is easier for you! :)

    Haha yeah lots of interesting street foods here! They do have some waffle shops in NY but they're really overpriced and not nearly as extensive as the one here! Yeah I agree the Multinet cards are really neat! Even the cafeteria food here is pretty good and a lot healthier!

    ReplyDelete