Saturday, June 14, 2014

Alyssa Tender Week 3: Rabat

This week I mostly worked with the migrant research team.  One major part of their research is going to visit the migrants in their houses. Many migrants are afraid to go into the office because of HIV’s social stigma, so we go to their house to answer their question about HIV.  Most of the conversations happen in French or Congolese (most of the migrants are from the Congo) so I don’t always understand what is happening.

However, there are some migrants who only speak English.  In these situations my boss has me answer all the questions and tell them about the organization since he does not speak English. I was initially afraid that I would not know the answers to the migrant’s questions, but so far I have been able to answer all their questions .This makes me feel like I am really helping the organization.


Outside of work, I have really enjoyed living with a host family. They have really made me feel like a part of their family. Their whole family (aunts, grandparents, parents, sister, etc.) gets together at least a few times a week so their whole family knows who I am.  Yesterday they all got together to start planning their meals for Ramadan. I am super excited; all the meals sounded so good. 

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa,

    It sounds like you are a valuable member of your team. Going to the migrant workers' houses has to be eye opening. Do they welcome you? Also, I'm wondering if you use any type of visual aids or flyers? It seems to me that your job is extremely important.

    Isn't homestay just wonderful?! I'm very happy that you are "hitting it off" with your entire family. I am interested in how Ramadan goes. Keep my updated!

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete