Monday, June 30, 2014

Alyssa Tender- Rabat week 5

This week there were two new high school volunteers at the main office so I spent the entire week at the Annex. The Annex is still in Rabat and mostly works with Migrants. There is a much smaller staff (3 people compared to 15) so I felt like I was really needed at the office, especially since the staff’s English and Arabic is limited. I was in charge of helping anyone who came into the office who only spoke Arabic or English.  In the afternoons, the office closes and we visit houses or organizations that specialize in helping the migrants. I helped lead condom workshops or STI information sessions.  None of the staff at the Annex are Muslim, so it will be interesting to see if my work hours will change because of Ramadan.  At most other non-profits the work day is much shorter during Ramadan.


 I am actually really excited for Ramadan. My host family has been cooking all week preparing different foods.  The nice thing about having a four year old host brother is that someone else will be eating during the day in the house. The family has told me multiple times that I am not expected to fast, but I would still feel bad being the only person eating in the house.

Preparing food for Ramadan 

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa,

    Isn't it nice when you feel valuable? That's great! I'm glad that your are putting your skills/talents to work. I would like to know if your hours do change for Ramadan.

    I understand how you are feeling about fasting. Do you think you'll fast entirely? Perhaps only fast at home but eat out of the house for a meal a day? I'm not sure what I would do. It is a very unique position to be in.

    Don't forget to take pictures with UM swag and/or the block "M"!

    Best,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete